Want To Join Our Team?
We are always on the lookout for energetic, passionate and creative candidates who may be interested in becoming a LSW Tutor... Ideal for Teaching Assistants, trainee teachers or English / Creative Writing students to fit work around university timetables, or those with writing / classroom experience, becoming a LSW Tutor is one of the most rewarding, inspiring and enjoyable roles we can think of.
If you are interested in becoming a LSW Tutor, please read the below information to check you meet our criteria, and then email email@example.com with an updated CV, your location, and weekday availability. Please note, we often receive a large number of Tutor applications but have very high standards when hiring new staff so can only reply to successful candidates who meet our criteria.
We are currently looking for tutors in the following areas: Twickenham, Teddington, Richmond, Ham, Kew, Hampton, St Margarets, Whitton, Hounslow, Ashford (Surrey), Staines, Laleham, Weybridge, Walton-on-Thames, Cobham, Esher, Shepperton, and surrounding areas, although we are looking to expand to new areas over the next few years.
*Main Purpose and Scope of the Job*
Hours of work: Part-time - from as little as one hour a week
Days: Weekdays (during term time)
Times: 3.15pm - 4.30pm, depending on your allocated school’s finish time
Location: In and around Surrey / London
Other: Role subject to approved DBS check and suitable references. EduCare training in Basic First Aid and Safeguarding in Education, and LSW training provided.
* Duties and Responsibilities*
- Teaching fun, informative and educational workshops using LSW guidelines, approaches and lesson plans
- Inspiring students, promoting the rewarding nature of creative writing and rousing student’s enthusiasm for set tasks and activities
- Following LSW lesson plans and encouraging students to write a variety of creative pieces including stories, poems, song lyrics, raps, scripts, etc.
- Being responsible for LSW equipment, student’s work and confidential material
- Reading / checking student’s work and offering advice and constructive criticism
- Helping students improve the quality and quantity of their work
- Promoting LSW workshops while in schools and being a strong advocate of LSW policies, missions and goals
- Being an energetic, professional, creative tutor at all times
*Skills and Abilities*
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent ability to communicate
- Keen eye for grammar and accuracy
- Good time management skills
- Shows confidence in the ability to think several steps ahead, anticipate student’s needs and suggest improvements to their work
- Can easily adapt to new or changing circumstances
- Enjoys multi-tasking and can prioritise the needs of students to ensure there is always a fun, relaxed and safe environment for them to work in
- Works well under pressure and makes decisive choices that positively influences the workshops
- Can follow lesson plans and adapt them to suit the needs and abilities of students when required
- Educated to degree level or working toward a relevant degree in Teaching, Education, English Lit / Lang, Creative Writing, or similar
- Experience working with children aged 7-11
- Experience in a classroom, educational or home-tutoring environment
- Knowledge of the publishing industry, children’s books or publishing trends beneficial
- Knowledge of safeguarding, childcare laws or education regulations beneficial
* Personal Attributes & Other Requirements*
- Enthusiastic attitude
- Co-operative team player
- Professional demeanour
- Gracious and supportive – must be concerned with the interests of others
- Ethical, confident, creative and positive attitude
- Must be confident in leading a class of students aged 7-11, and have the ability to manage behaviour appropriately, evoke a positive reaction in students, and inspire all aspiring authors and reluctant writers
- We’re looking for tutors that can make students laugh, make them want to work hard, and allow them to feel free to use their imaginations and discover the rewarding nature of creative writing
- Above all, we’re looking for tutors that can make writing fun!